|Disability Science 1, basic course , 30 ECTS Credits|
|AIM OF THE COURSE|
|On completion of the course, the student should be able to
- find appropriate interventions and preventions on the basis of clinical cases,
- apply a biopsychosocial approach on different clinical cases with disabilities by taking ethical, biological, psychological and social aspects into account,
- apply knowledge of basic theories and concepts of disability research, ethics, biology/medicine, psychology and sociology on real cases in disability science,
- problematise how different conditions such as physical, cognitive or social disability can be related to concepts such as normality and abnormality,
- demonstrate an ability to analyse and assess own work and the work of others,
- apply an ethical approach on clinical cases
- describe, identify and discuss different clinical groups of disability.
|The course contents highlight the following fields:
- intervention and prevention of clinical cases with individuals with disabilities,
- to be able to apply the biopsychosocial approach on disabilities based on clinical cases (WHO, 2001) and basic theories and concepts of biology/medicine, psychology and sociology that are relevant to functional impairments and disabilities,
- basic concepts of disability science,
- applied ethics relevant to the context of disabilities.
|The course has a case-inspired pedagogy, where clinical cases are central and used to create motivation and meaning in the studies. The course contents are highlighted by case work, seminars, lectures and laboratory sessions.|
|Take-home examination, oral examination, group assignments, and active participation in seminars and laboratory sessions.
Students failing an exam covering either the entire course or part of the course two times are entitled to have a new examiner appointed for the reexamination.
Students who have passed an examination may not retake it in order to improve their grades.
|A grade of Pass with Credit, Pass or Fail is given for the course|
|Course certificate is issued by the Faculty Board on request. The Department provides a special form which should be submitted to the Student Affairs Division.|
|The course literature is decided upon by the department in question.|
|Planning and implementation of a course must take its starting point in the wording of the syllabus. The course evaluation included in each course must therefore take up the question how well the course agrees with the syllabus.
The course is carried out in such a way that both men´s and women´s experience and knowledge is made visible and developed.