|Psychology, Research method and Essay, continuation course , 15 ECTS Credits|
|AIM OF THE COURSE|
|On completion of the course, the student should, at a basic level, be able to:
- in collaboration with others, plan, carry out and, orally and in writing, present an empirical study within one of the subareas of psychology
- in collaboration with others, collect, qualitatively and quantitatively process, and compile data
- read, evaluate, critically reflect and discuss own and others' studies
- account for and use the research-ethical principles of psychological research
- identify information needs, use relevant search tools and critically review search results concerning psychology
|Research Methods, 7.5 HE credits (Metod)
In the module covers:
- ethical considerations in research,
- scholarly methods and various types of data collection techniques, such as questionnaires, observations and interviews,
- measuring, levels of measurement, reliability and validity,
- descriptive statistics, standard score, correlation and prediction,
- inference statistics, hypothesis testing, populations and random samples
- sampling distribution, z-test, independent and dependent tests and explained variation,
- non-parametric statistics, chi-square test,
- research roles in qualitative research,
- qualitative analyses of scholarly, popular and more experience-based literature
- basic qualitative analytical methods with support from hermeneutics, phenomenology, narrative theory and critical theory
Essay, 7.5 HE credits (Uppsats)
In this module, the students should apply and further the knowledge and skills they developed in earlier module by planning, carrying out and reporting an empirical work. Within the framework of that work, forms for scientific reporting are also covered.
|The working methods in the course consist of lectures, seminars, laboratory sessions/experiments, exercises and written assignments. Supervision is provided as support for the thesis work. In addition to this, the student should study independently, individually and/or in groups, and work with thesis work in groups.|
|The course is examined through:
Examination, compulsory seminars, compulsory exercises and written assignments. An essay is written in groups and presented and defended in an open seminar. The students should, in groups, publicly discuss another essay.
The essay grade is based on a balance of the quality of the essay and the quality of the thesis defence and review, where the essay carries the most weight.
Students failing an exam covering either the entire course or part of the course twice are entitled to have a new examiner appointed for the reexamination.
Students who have passed an examination may not retake it in order to improve their grades.
Completed Psychology, basic course with at least 21 HE credits passed (equivalent).
|A grade of Pass with Credit, Pass or Fail is given for the course|
|Course certificate is issued by the Faculty Board on request. The Department provides a special form which should be submitted to the Student Affairs Division.|
|The course literature is decided upon by the department in question.|
|Planning and implementation of a course must take its starting point in the wording of the syllabus. The course evaluation included in each course must therefore take up the question how well the course agrees with the syllabus.
The course is carried out in such a way that both men´s and women´s experience and knowledge is made visible and developed.